Welcome to my little ol' blog. I'll be upfront about it: I don't blog very often any more. If you found your way here because you read my book "Trailer Life," have a gander! But it's easier to keep up with me on Instagram or on my Facebook page. I have this long, drawn out theory on why I'm a terrible blogger, but that is a story for another day. Enjoy the ramblings of my life from the last 8 years or so.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Popcorn day and chipped teeth

Yesterday was playgroup, and we take turns hosting each week. I volunteered and did "popcorn day" in honor of National Popcorn Day on January 19. I guess I should have done a MLK day, but it never crossed my mind. Popcorn is much more fun and easy to understand when you are one to five years old than a civil rights activist. It was fun, I think... it always stresses me a little because since I've had kids I am lucky to get my act together. I did get the best compliment though- one of the moms who is a teacher and runs the after school program in Kernville asked if I was going to teach again someday because she would like to have her kids in my class. That made my day, really. That was the highlight though, because after that, my day got much crazier. We came home, and Ed was full of fire. Was there crack in the popcorn I made? He couldn't settle down for nap. He climbed out of his crib at least 15 times. I took him outside to Ryan twice, and he ended up thinking that was really great, even though Ryan made it boring for him. Ryan was organizing his patrol car, and Ed thought that was neat. After going back and forth with Ed for 45 minutes, he climbed out of his crib the last time and fell and hit his mouth on the bars. He cried, and I could tell it hurt him, but since there was no blood, I just laid him down and told him to go to sleep. When he woke up two and half hours later he kept crying and chewing on his finger. His sippy cup hurt his mouth, and he couldn't eat. I looked in his mouth, and his two front teeth are chipped, and one was bloody in the gums. I freaked out a little because he couldn't eat, and I've never dealt with teeth injuries. Ryan wasn't home and didn't answer his cell. I called my visiting teacher/friend who is a dental hygienist. I asked Jenny if she would look at them, just because she knows way more about teeth than I do. She and her dad (the dentist) looked at his teeth for me at 6:30 at night. I felt bad asking them to do that, but I did feel much better when her dad said it didn't crack to the nerve. He said what it was (twice) but I forget. Something about a level 2 fracture... So now Ed's front teeth are a little sore and very much chipped. I am going to make some bread and drop it off to them tomorrow as a small thank-you. The demon child woke up at 4:30 this morning and come into our room with us for a while before Ryan kicked him out (thank-you Ryan!) and put him back to bed. He is no longer allowed to sleep in his crib. He is sleeping in between Kacy and Will right now, and I'm sorry for them. He sleeps ON them more than anything-feet in the face and everything.


  1. Bummer about the teeth and no more crib!! Good thing you have a dentist friends! That is one cute little boy, I must say!

  2. Poor Ed. Alyssa fell and hit her two front teeth pretty bad about a year ago. I took her to the dentist and he said that she bruised them. I had never heard of that before! Everything was fine but now those teeth are a slightly different color then the rest of her teeth. I know what you mean, it freaks you out a little.

  3. Ouch!! Sorry you had a rough day, kids you are injured or sick are never any fun.

  4. I'm sorry to hear you little one is such a bruiser. My oldenst always had a goose egg. On a side note... I knew your VT in highschool. We went to Seminary together and everything. I haven't seen her in years. Tell her Syndy says hello!