Welcome to my little ol' blog. I'll be upfront about it: I don't blog very often any more. If you found your way here because you read my book "Trailer Life," have a gander! But it's easier to keep up with me on Instagram or on my Facebook page. I have this long, drawn out theory on why I'm a terrible blogger, but that is a story for another day. Enjoy the ramblings of my life from the last 8 years or so.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Goal Setting

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and they cited two studies concerning goal setting. One was done at Yale, I think, and they interviewed a sampling of students. 3% of those students had a written plan detailing their goals. Twenty years later, this same group of individuals was interviewed/assessed, and the 3% who had their goals written down had achieved those goals, and were financially worth more than the other 97%. The second study was similar, just a shorter time span (10yrs); both studies concerned career/financial success. BUT, it the outcome can be applied to life in general.

So, in order to stop eating Costco muffins and get back into my quest for fitness, I'm writing out my goals and plan to achieve. I'd write down my financial goals, but that seems a little TMI (too much information) for the Internet, because of specifics. A few of those general goals are: have no house payment when Ryan retires, and have some industrial rental units. Our finances are in pretty good shape, although, I could always save a buck here and there. That would make me happy. Moving on...

  • I will run in a 5k race on October 3rd, and run to compete. Will attempt to place in the top three in my age group. I'm trying not to laugh at myself and think it will never happen...
  • I will run in a 10K race on October 31st. I will run the entire time, and will finish in under an hour, even if it's only 2 seconds under...
To acheive these goals, I will institute a running plan that includes running three times a week. (I'm still working out the details, but it will include getting back up to a 5k a day, and then speed work, and then my long runs will be 5 milers...)

I will lift free weights three times a week to maintain and build muscle tone. (Muscles burn more calories than fat while I sit and play on the computer... so I need all the help I can get.)

I will use the sports nutrition knowledge I gained throught the public library and incorporate healthier carbs into my diet.

I will aquire an arm band for my ipod so my pepperspray hand is free, as well as my leash hand. I will arrange my running playlist beginning with slower warm up songs, then switch to faster tempos, and then slower again.

I will have a positive mental attitude about my abilities and NOT drown myself in Costco apple strudel muffins, Little "Devil" (Debbie) snacks, or diet sodas. (My kids are NOT good influences for healthy eating, and lately I've been a sucker!)

I will keep my training journal in a safe spot (the sofa is not safe) and WRITE in it, to keep track of my running and eating.

I'll see myself at the finish line!


  1. What a great idea on setting up a your iPod playlist with slow, fast, and then slow again. I'll have to remember this tip in about 2 1/2 weeks when I plan on beginning real exercise again. So I guess Oreo cookies and milk for dinner aren't really part of a healthy diet? :)

  2. Those are great goals Karrie!! I'll make sure to follow up with you:)

    I love the training journal idea. I'm totally going to steal that one.

    Keep up the good work!

  3. Go girl!! I know you will achieve your goals. You have almost motivated me to set some goals. But I'll have to think about that some more.